Updated list can be found here: Top 10 richest people in India (Sept 2016)
In 2008 India had 4 billionaires in the list of top 10 richest people in the world (source). Currently India has no billionaire in the list of top 10 and not even in top 20!
Many Indian billionaire’s lost more than half of their wealth in the last 5 years. Anil Ambani & KP Singh are the once’s who lost maximum wealth.
List of Richest Indians:
- Mukesh Ambani: Son of Late. Dhirubhai Ambani and the owner of Reliance Industries is the richest Indian with a net-worth of about 21 billion USD. He owns the worlds most expensive residential property valued at about 2 billion USD. When Indian stock markets were in bull run during 2006-07 Mukesh Ambani had become the richest person in the world for a day.
- Lakshmi Mittal: Chairman and CEO, ArcelorMittal. His company is one of the largest steel company in the world. His net-worth currently is 16 billion USD. In the year 2008 his net-worth was 45 billion USD and at that time he was the richest Indian and 4th richest in the world.
- Dilip Shanghvi: He is the third richest Indian and the owner of largest Indian pharmaceuticals company – Sun Pharmaceuticals. He moved in the top 5 last year for the first time. His company is the biggest gainer on the stock exchange among various Pharmaceuticals companies. Currently his net worth is 13.9 billion USD.
- Azim Premji: Chairman of Wipro is the fourth richest Indian with a net-worth of 13.8 billion USD marginally lower than the 3rd richest Indian. Wipro didn’t gain much from the software stocks rally on the Indian stock markets in 2013.
- Pallonji Mistry: Father of the current Chairman of Tata Group – Cyrus Mistry. Source of his wealth is from the construction business. Currently his net-worth is 12.5 billions USD.
- Hinduja Brothers: Are the 3rd richest in UK and 6th richest in India with a net-worth of 9 billion USD. They own various business like – InduSind Bank, Ashok Leyland, etc.
- Shiv Nadar: He’s in the list of top 10 for the first time as his company HCL Tech gained maximum from the 2013 tech stocks rally. His net-worth is up 3 billion USD this yer to 8.6 billion USD.
- Adi Godrej & family: Owner of Godrej industries is the 8th richest Indian with a net-worth of 8.3 billion USD.
- Kumar Birla: Owner of Hindlaco, AB Nuvo, etc is 9th richest in India with a net-worth of 7.6 billion USD. His wealth has remained more or less constant in the past couple of years.
- Sunil Mittal & family: Owner of Airtel is the 10th richest person in India with a net-wort of about 6.6 billion USD.
Anil Ambani once was in the top 5 list is now number 11 with 6.2 billion USD. KP Singh once number 4th is 18th in the list with a net-worth of 3.4 billion USD.
Also you might be interested in checking: List of top banks in India.