Top 10 Banks in India
In India banking sector is one of the most regulated sector in the economy. When Indian Government allowed private banks to operate in the nation many banks came into existence and gave a tough competition to various nationalized players. Private banks won over most nationalized banks because of the quality of services they offered to their customers. Private banks are more profitable compared to most nationalized banks.
There are about 27 nationalized banks, 19 private sector banks, 32 foreign banks and various co-operative banks, regional rural banks operating in India.
All of them compete for deposits first and then search someone to whom they can lend the money. It’s a complex process which requires loads of man power and capital to sustain the business operation.
[List updated on 11th January 2016]
List of top 10 banks in India:
- State Bank of India: SBI undoubtedly is the leading bank in India when it comes to number of branches, ATM’s, net profits, total assets managed, etc. With an employee base of close to 3 lakh people SBI commands 20% (approx) of the Indian banking sector. The bank has over 17,000 branches with more than 27,000 ATM’s. The bank manages assets worth more than 390 billion USD.
- ICICI Bank: ICICI is the second in the list when it comes to quantity of assets managed by the Bank. According to the current market cap ICICI is ahead of SBI but behind HDFC. ICICI Bank has about 3540 branches, 11200 ATM’s and over 82000 employees. The bank manages assets worth 99 billion USD.
- Punjab National Bank: PNB is the third largest bank in India. The market capitalization of the bank is very low compared to the assets it manages. The bank has over 5800 branches, 6000+ ATM’s. It manages assets worth 90.9 billion USD.
- Bank of Baroda: BOB is the forth largest bank in India when it comes to managing assets. According to market cap the bank is undervalued/priced. The bank has over 4200 branches and has a net profit of 840 million USD. The assets managed by this bank are valued at 73 billion USD.
- HDFC Bank: If we prepared this list according to the market cap then HDFC would have been the number one bank in this list. Well according to assets managed the bank is at the 5th position. The bank has over 3200 branches, 12000+ ATM’s, Net Profit of 1.1 billion USD. The assets managed by this bank are valued at 66.7 billion USD.
- Canara Bank: The bank has about 3200 branches with over 4000 ATM’s. The bank employees about 44,000 people. Assets managed by the bank are valued at 61 billion USD.
- Axis Bank: Axis bank comes 7th in the list and 3rd in the list of private sector bank. The bank has 2225 branches, 12000+ ATM’s, 40200 employees . The bank manages assets worth 54 billion USD. The bank’s net profit is 1.5 billion USD.
- Bank of India: BOI has over 4500 branches and makes a profit of 400 million USD.
- IDBI Bank: The bank has about 1150 branches with about 2000 ATM’s. The bank employees about 15000 people. It manages assets worth 42 billion USD.
- Union Bank of India: The bank falls 10th in the list with about 4500 ATM’s. 290 million USD in profits. It manages assets worth 13.45 billion USD.
Not able to determine the exact position of Kotak Mahindra Bank in this list because after its merger with ING it surly will find a place in top 10 list. Major reason being its employee base and its market cap.
As the time passes we might see more additions of various private sector banks in the list.